Monday 15 December 2008

B L D No. 15


















































My kids get so grossed out when I tell this story. Oh well, what can I say, it is what really happened.

Now imagine if you can one bedroom with seven girls in it. Mickey, Shelly, and I shared one bed (we were the best of bed mates) and Jacquie, Camille, Colette and Lori shared the other (I think – I know my bed mates for sure; you other girls can help clarify this. Suzie, I think you and Kathy slept downstairs?).

I need to speak a little bit here about socks. Our bedroom floor was covered in clothes and socks were part of those clothes. I would get up and put on whatever socks I found on the floor, so either I wore them the day(s) before or someone else did. I know are your grossed out yet? At the time, I never gave it a second thought. (Do you think that this is now the reason my family all have a zillion pairs of socks.)

On Christmas Eve there was always a flurry of activity to find the cleanest sock on the floor as it would be our Christmas stocking.

We laid our Christmas stockings (knee highs) at the end of our bed. Inside our stockings (not dirty socks that magical night) was always a Japanese orange, nuts, and hard Christmas candy (not even wrapped in plastic; yummy).

Mom and Dad always had the local news on at 6 p.m. and would call us to come and see because the weather man was tracking Santa on a radar system and Santa was getting close to Winnipeg.

We prepared for him to come to our house by leaving out milk and a cookie and also leaving the reindeer salt and a carrot.

Oh Happy Days………

6 comments:

GlorV1 said...

It sounds like you had a lot of fun and your parents were involved as well. Thats the way it should be. Who cares whose socks they were, you were waiting for Santa. You'd probably get a new pair anyways. Merry Christmas I love the pix you posted.

Anonymous said...

I did love sleeping with you two, but it is a wonder I did not have nightmares considering you and Mickey both sleep with your eyes open (not a pretty sight). I wonder if they had Christmas Stocking way back then or did everyone use just a sock? Anyway, the dirty sock thing is not so bad, it is just like taking a bath in your own dirty bathtub, when the dirt belongs to you it doesn't seem so bad - also, I am sure that being the littlest my big sisters looked out for me and gave me the cleanest knee high any of them could find.

Renee said...

Shelly, I swear to God, when I wrote this, I was going to say that Shelly being the youngest, I always made sure that she had a relatively clean sock.

I am not kidding either, I think I did that. Although I could be imagining that.

Weird when I saw you write that.

Love Renee

Anonymous said...

What beautiful times. Tight for money. Lots of love!

Emerald Arts said...

Your bedroom sounds a lot like my dorm at boarding school ;)

They tracked Santa on the weather report? That is SO cool!

Anonymous said...

Oh happy days is right. We sure had lots of fun in our house growing up. I always say I remember being poor as a child but I do not remember being unhappy as a child. I felt lucky to have all my sisters and brothers I never felt anything but happy to be around them. About the stockings they were dirty but we did not care Santa was going ot fill them and he did not care if they were clean or dirty and yes the candy was hard and I clearly remember peeling them off the sock and eating them Yum. Sharing a bed with you and Shelly was great and yes we always spoiled Shelly. She was a doll then and a doll now. I love thinking of our family Christmas's.