Tuesday 19 August 2008

For Christ Sake Did Somebody Shut Off The Air?


















If I have said this once, I have said it 1,000 times, or a variant of it which goes ‘who the hell shut off the air?’

“Apparently what happens when you get a hot flash is that the normal mechanism overshoots. Normally, if you get hot, how do you cool down? Your face gets red because blood rushes to the vessels nearest the surface so that they can release heat more easily, and you sweat. A hot flash is misnamed: it’s really an attempt by the body to cool down. Researchers think that hot flashes happen when the set point of the thermoregulator gets abruptly shifted. It’s as though someone has walked by and pushed the thermostat in your head down to 55 degrees. Your brain says, ‘Uh-oh, you’re 98.6 degrees now-that’s too hot!’ and immediately tries to cool you down by increasing your heart rate and the blood supply to your skin so that you blush and sweat. You may not actually have been too hot, but you will cool down.” ~~ Dr. Love on the mechanism of a hot flash. ~~

Wahid, Nathan and I are sitting on the couch watching the Olympics. Nathan is sitting in a corner with his legs hitched up shivering. Wahid is covered in a blanket from head to toe, with just his eyes peeking out to watch the TV. I know they think the house is cold as they are always covering up and Wahid has started blanketing his face.

I am sitting on a separate couch from them ready to pass out from the heat. We are all doing the same amount of physical activity (which is none whatsoever) and I am the only one sweating.

Are you guys hot? “No Dearest it is just you.” ‘No Mom it is just you.’ Which one of you touched the air? ‘Nobody Mom, it is just you.’

Well for Christ’s sake. I get up and go look at the thermostat which I do about 10 times a day and am glad to see it is unchanged. They are both lucky.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Renee, that is too funny! I can definitely relate.....
Shirl xo

Anonymous said...

i howled.....which takes alot to make me laugh.
they say a picture is worth a thousand words.... well it is true with this one.
made my day .... still howling

Anonymous said...

I am not sure if you are allowed legally to just post someone eles's picture without there permission but seeing as I am your sister I guess it is ok to use mine!!!! Jacquie you are so right I killed myself laughing thanks Renee I needed that, Suzie xoxo